Friday, February 18, 2011

Small Town Continued...

Here are some of the things about our small town that have amused me recently (still feels a little unnatural to say "our" small town):

  • The grocery store does not sale calrose and jasmine rice. This is the first grocery store I have ever shopped at that doesn't have calrose. I didn't think I was picky about rice, but I guess I am. The options at the grocery store are long, short, and brown. I'm not that picky, really. If someone else is cooking, I'm thrilled about whatever type of rice they serve me. When I'm cooking I like calrose or jasmine as my regulars. I use other types as recipes require, but I'll have to plan ahead so I can pick it up on vacation. Costco size containers have a whole new appeal. I don't want to run out.
  • We live on the "snob hill" of the town. Half the doctors live around the corner in "expensive" $300,000 houses. "Snob hill" is something different here. Expensive is something different here.
  • Shumways and Blacks make up half the town. It makes it hard to keep track of who is in which family. To make it more confusing Blacks marry Shumways and visa versa. "So, you're cousins on both sides?" I might need you to explain that again.
  • I still get a kick out of the fact that the one stop light in the whole county is 20 minutes away. Truth be told, it isn't needed. I think the county planners just wanted to add a stop light.
  • New health insurance and new town means we need new doctors. After asking around I scheduled a physical with a doctor that had only the most positive recommendations. He lives around the corner and I teach his daughter in Sunday school. His family brought me Christmas cookies. Question of the day... do I address him as Curtis or Dr. Black?
  • My family doctor will also be my OB-GYN because there aren't any here. The nearest one is Cortez, CO. But that's OK. My family doctor has probably done more pap smears and delivered more babies that most OB-GYNs his age.

No comments:

Post a Comment