Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thai Star Fruit Chicken Salad

This week bountiful baskets (the food co-op that I get produce from) had a tropical pack.  I got a fresh mint, a coconut, pineapple, star fruit, mangoes, vanilla beans, limes, and lemons.  Loads of deliciousness.  Have I mentioned I love bountiful baskets, especially in Blanding?  Yes, I have.  
Everything that came I will or have already used with hardly any thought, except the star fruit.  Star fruit is actually new to me, so I looked up a few recipes online.  I narrowed it down to a chicken salad or coconut star fruit crepes.  Marty voted for the one less likely to make him fat.
Today I made the Thai star fruit chicken salad.  Fresh basil and cilantro give the salad a delightfully fresh taste.  I particularly liked the zing of the lime sesame dressing.  I give it a rating of very good.  Don't go rushing out to buy a star fruit just to try it (they might be pretty expensive), but it was a very tasty way to use what came my way.  What I love the most is how darn pretty that star fruit is.  It would make any dish look fantastic. That's really why I even wrote this post... because I think star fruit look so stinkin' cool.

P.S.   Grilled pineapple for dessert tonight, vanilla bean flan sometime soon, and I haven't quite decided what to do with the coconut.  Marty made a great coconut rice pudding once.  Maybe I'll get him to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment